Friday, May 4, 2012

Transitioning From Achiever to Inspiring Others to Achieve


This past week, I took a week of vacation to attend a party in Lancaster, PA for my parents, who are coming up on their 50th anniversary, which is quite an achievement.  This involves a long plane flight from the Seattle area to the Philadelphia area, which gives me a lot of time to think about where I’m at, how I feel, and where I want to go.  I don’t know why, but I’ve always found the airplane a great place to think.  It’s probably because I can simply put on my headphones, listen to music, and spend time thinking without the worry about being interrupted by the phone, email, or text messages.  In usual fashion, this trip has inspired some thoughts that I felt the need to write a blog about.

Over the last couples of weeks, I’ve had some positive developments at work.  I’m now more formally in a role that better suits my skills, I work for a boss that really understands how I “tick” (maybe she should worry about that…), and I work with people who want to make a difference, learn and grow.  Additionally, our team started filling out a survey (enneagram) that helps to identify your personality traits, and assigns a number to you.  I filled it out, and came out between a 2 and 3.  A 2 is identified with a pleaser, and a 3 is identified with an achiever.  I have to say that I can’t dispute either one.  While I look at those numbers, it makes me reflect on who I am.  I have always been someone who enjoys working with other people, and doing whatever I can to make them happy and comfortable.  Additionally, I look at both my personal and professional life, and find that I am the most motivated when I have a goal and am trying to achieve something.  I get bored and frustrated when I’m unable to achieve things, and feel that I am unable to please the people I care about.  I guess I could dig deeper into it, but on the surface, it really does describe me the best of any of these surveys I have taken in the past.

This has also caused me to think deeper about myself.  My career has largely been roles that could be described as “the hired gun” or “the human fire extinguisher”.  If there’s a challenge or a difficult situation, I’m going to step up and figure out how to accomplish the task at hand.  It’s arguably served me well as I have done well in my career.  In many respects, it has really fulfilled the two things that motivate me.  As an achiever, its very obvious how those roles played to my strengths.  Additionally, as a pleaser, I’ve been able to please people by achieving things.  In an odd sort of way, my career choices have mirrored my personality in a way I have never thought about before.  Go figure…after twenty six years in the computer industry, I finally figure myself out.

As I reflect, the career choices have been fun, but have often left me feeling lost or confused.  The initial excitement of achieving something or pleasing someone seems to fade quicker and quicker each time.  The after glow, if you will, just doesn’t seem to bring as much satisfaction as it used to.  I also look at the amount of stress I put myself through, and the number of health issues it has caused at times, and I often wonder how much longer I can do what I do.  Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t change a thing.  I’ve enjoyed what I do and who I am.  However, I find myself at a crossroads where I feel that there has to be more to it.

I also look at my “hobby” of coaching youth soccer, which I recently retired from.  It’s a completely different environment and skill set.  As a coach, I can’t simply step on the field and fix things by playing myself.  I have to rely on my ability to motivate a group of young soccer players to better themselves individually, and more importantly, as a unit on the field.  Again, I have arguably been successful as a soccer coach.  For the most part, I have been able to get through to young soccer players and motivate them to do more than they thought they could, and even motivated them to play as a unit on the field.  We haven’t always had success in the form of wins and losses, but we’ve always improved from where we started, which is all you can ask for as a coach. 

Occasionally, my work life and my hobby have crossed paths.  I will often give advice to co-workers on how to best work with other co-workers, and I often draw on my soccer coaching experiences to convey the information.  Additionally, I facilitate a lot of team building and bonding events.  This has all been great and been very much appreciated by management.  However, I have a confession to make.  I can do much, much better.  There is one area that I really need to work on, and I think other achievers will be able to relate to what I’m about to say.

When you function in your career as a “hired gun”, the ability to achieve something is usually in your own hands, or in the hands of yourself and a small team of people that you implicitly trust.  Those situations are somewhat easy to control so that you can achieve the desired outcome.  However, I have often fallen short when it involves larger groups of people with varying skill sets and motivation levels.  I’ve often felt that it’s impossible to motivate some people, or even that some people just don’t care enough to succeed.  Is that really true, or can I do more?  How do I grow this ability within larger groups of people with a more diverse set of motivations and skill sets?

There are tons of negative feelings and self-doubt when I explore this deeper within my own mind.  You run the gamut of emotions.  Am I making myself less valuable by making other people more valuable?  Will I become obsolete?  Can I be easily replaced by another achiever or pleaser?  Will I be less respected or liked by my co-workers?  In other words, if I succeed at growing other achievers and pleasers, do I make myself expendable?  It’s a difficult set of questions for me to face and ask myself.  My self-confidence hasn’t always been as strong as it should be for a lot of deep emotional reasons I won’t go into that started at an early age growing up.  This may sound ridiculous to many readers, but it’s always at the forefront of my mind.  Call it fear of failure…

Recently, with the help of my boss, I actually took a small group of people with varying levels of motivation and talent, and lead them through a task of accomplishing a somewhat aggressive goal at work.  We really hit a home run with what we did, and even though I felt a lot of pressure that we had to succeed, I didn’t just naturally jump in and take over when things appeared to be going off course.  I combined my soccer coaching skills and work skills to motivate individuals to be better and work together as a team to accomplish our objective.  The experience was motivating, and probably the first real experience I had in bringing my hobby into the workplace in a way that was beyond the typical team building activities I have done in the past.

It was a good feeling, but I still have doubts.  In my previous experiences as a “hired gun”, everything was pretty measurable, and your contribution to them was equally as measurable.  How do I measure my success at motivating others to accomplish the goal?  It’s a lot harder than measuring your own individual impact.  Yes, we accomplished the goal.  However, was I effective as a leader and motivator, or was it just luck?  Could I do it again if asked?  If so, how would I measure success?  For the achiever and pleaser in me, these are hard questions as I struggle with how to measure it and measure my contribution to it.  It’s very uncomfortable space for me right now.  Would I do it again if asked?  Absolutely.  Will I continue to struggle with how to measure myself and my value?  Absolutely.  Self-doubt is just a default behavior that I need to work on.

I am committed to this transition because in my current role, our organization can’t succeed if I don’t try to grow other people.  There’s just too much work to do and not enough time, even for a motivated achiever like me.  My career has always been defined as someone that achieves the impossible.  I will always need a component of that in my career.  However, I need to continue to build other people.  This will require more work and patience than I’ve had in the past, but it’s yet another way for me to grow.  Can I do it?  I don’t know, and that’s the answer that bothers me.  However, I have to try, and at the end of the day, I guess that’s all I can do…try…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net