Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Relentless Pursuit of Self Improvement


I find myself writing this blog entry with about a thousand thoughts bouncing around in my head.  I’ve been thinking about this for quite a while, and hope that I can keep myself organized enough to convey my thoughts on the topic.  I think that no matter what age you are, you can always improve and try to be better.  It’s certainly not easy, it can be tiring, and often the messages that you receive that enable you to improve can be difficult to hear from others.  It would be far easier to ignore that feedback and just stay the way you are.  However, it takes more courage and strength to accept where you’re at and where you need to go.

As someone who is very sensitive to the views of others, and how I am perceived by others, I tend to be very sensitive when it comes to feedback.  Initially, the feedback can cut very deep and bring out some intense emotions about being viewed negatively.  I know I shouldn’t be so hung up on what others think, and trying to please others.  However, as someone who is programmed to please other people, it’s just the way I am.  Also, after I’ve had the chance to process the feedback, I often realize that while I find the message difficult to hear, there are always nuggets of information that help me improve.  I realize that I have one of two choices.  I can take the feedback and use it to make myself a better person, or I can ignore the feedback and stay the way I am.  To me, it’s not a choice.  I have to improve. 

As a former competitive athlete, it’s just natural for me to want to improve.  When you play a sport, you do so because you are always trying to get better at it.  The only way you get better is to accept feedback and use it to move forward and get better.  If you don’t get better, it’s “on you”.  And, yes, I’ve played for some of the harshest coaches you can imagine.  Most would say that they border on verbal and physical abuse.  In those days, there wasn’t a lot of emphasis on how the message was delivered, it was just delivered, deal with it.  Yes, I’m a bit scarred from it.  I think that’s one of the reasons that when I coach and have a tough message to deliver, I spend a lot of time thinking about the message, what I have to say, and how I have to say it.  Do I make mistakes?  Sure.  Am I always the best at it?  No.  Sometimes emotions get in the way.  However, I try.

One of the things I struggle with these days in both my work and personal life are people that refuse to accept feedback.  In other words, they hear what you have to say, and then for whatever reason, decide that they don’t need to do anything.  In a worst-case scenario, they refuse to listen and say “don’t yell at me” or “don’t criticize me”.  Even in cases where you bend over backwards to deliver the message as palatable as possible, they just don’t want to listen.  They would rather accept things the way they are and keep doing what they’re doing. 

I think some of it is related to change.  Many people don’t like change.  They’re comfortable with where things are at, where they’re at, and would rather just keep going the way they are going.  Anytime there is a change, there is a risk.  A risk that you will be worse off than before, or that you’ll lose what you have.  That’s a natural fear.  However, you have to also look at the other side of things.  Change may mean that you are better than before or have more than before.  Yes, we are just talking about change to a personal trait or behavior, so it may not be as dramatic as another change in your life.  But, change is change no matter how big or small that change is, and it draws a natural flitch reaction in many people.

The other thing that I find frustrating is when others expect to give you feedback and expect you to change, but when you ask them to do the same, they refuse.  I will accept feedback, even when it’s difficult to hear.  However, I am less likely to use that feedback to change when the person making the request is not willing to do the same.  I feel that life is about compromise, and when you have expectations of others, you should expect at least the same from yourself.  If not, you shouldn’t expect others to change.

When I reflect on my career at DecisionPoint, and since DecisionPoint, I look at many situations where I or we could have done better or improved.  Our ability to improve was related to our ability to accept feedback and adjust and change along the way.  There are several instances at DecisionPoint where we did not accept the feedback, but stubbornly continued to do what we were doing, while trying to do it harder or better.  Looking back, our time would have been better spent listening to the feedback we were receiving and doing a better job to incorporate that feedback and change.  While we were relatively successful doing what we were doing, I often wonder what we could have done had we been more open to change based on feedback from others.  It reminds me of a quote I have often used:  “What’s the definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and over again…expecting different results”.

My advice to those reading this blog entry now is to reflect on whether you are someone that accepts feedback and is willing to adapt and adjust based on that feedback.  If not, please think about whether you can change your approach.  You will often find that even the smallest changes based on the feedback of others will have a dramatic improvement on you or your current situation.  The first step in that journey is to be able to be able to get over the intense negative feelings that some of the feedback can stir up, process the feedback for what it is, and then do what you can to use that feedback to improve.

As I’ve often said, “accept change, and find out what you are truly capable of”.  It’s not easy, and will never be.  However, if you do, you might be amazed at what you can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net